On this page you can download the Permission Request Form for The Book of Psalms for Worship, Book of Psalms for Singing, and the Trinity Psalter.
At Crown & Covenant Publications, we wish we could allow anyone to copy and utilize the psalms. However, we, as the producer (and you, as the consumer) are subject to copyright laws, both domestic and international. So we enforce these laws to protect both parties. Thousands of hours were spent creating these psalters and, as good stewards, we need to be diligent in safeguarding the rights of the people that labored in this good work. Please note that we don't own the rights to every single psalm arrangement, so we can't grant permissions for these selections without first contacting the original publisher. In accord with copyright laws, we want to ensure that:
(1) Composers get paid and credited for their work. While the Word is not bound, particular translations and musical arrangements of it are the work of human beings, who should be paid for their work. Just as with most Bible translations, these works are copyrighted and quotations are limited to a certain number of verses. Licensing and the protection of intellectual property enables workers to be paid, and licensing depends on copyright protection.
(2) Alterations to the arrangements are prevented. Because of the painstaking work of the composers, arrangers, and committees involved with the making of our psalters, we want to protect the specific versifications, compositions, and arrangements that appear in our products.
(3) Licensing fees (which depend on copyright) are honored. This allows for the continued production of psalters and high-quality supporting resources.
(4) Both parties are protected. We are all subject to copyright laws, both domestic and international, and desire to honor these laws put in place to safeguard all involved.
(5) Reproductions of our works are not illegally created or distributed. The investments made in the psalters, recordings, and support materials are not without physical and financial burdens. By protecting and paying those involved, we will be able to continue offering future psalters, recordings, and support materials. Without financial resources supporting Crown & Covenant Publications, these materials would cease to be available.
For years, we have not charged for this service. However, with the explosion of digital audio, blogs, websites, etc., we are receiving more requests for permissions and various types of unique requests. These requests take time to understand, clarify, and properly (and legally) assess. As our office is small, and requests increase, we may charge a standard (nominal) fee to help account for this time, or require the requester to purchase an annual digital license.
Each scenario below requires a permission form to be filed with Crown & Covenant Publications. You can download the form here. Fill it out and send it to us via email or postal service (information for which is found on the form). Please allow 3 weeks for your request to be reviewed and returned.
Printed Copies (photocopies, overheads, or video projection)
(1) Crown & Covenant Publications grants anyone owning The Book of Psalms for Worship or The ARP Psalter (church/individuals) photocopying rights for up to 500 copies of twelve (12) psalms for non-commercial use in public or personal worship during the year provided that the selection does not say "Used by permission" in the attributions at the bottom of the page. Our copyright statement, found in the back of your psalter, must appear on each copy.
(2) Crown & Covenant Publications grants anyone owning The Book of Psalms for Singing or the Trinity Psalter (church/individuals) photocopying right for five (5) psalms for non-commercial use in public or personal worship during the year. Our copyright statement must appear on each copy.
(3) Congregations owning copies of The Book of Psalms for Worship, The Book of Psalms for Singing, The ARP Psalter, or the Trinity Psalter for half (or more) of the congregation can make copies of any selections free of charge as long as they are used for church-related functions. Our copyright statement must appear on each copy.
(4) Congregations owning copies of The Book of Psalms for Worship, The Book of Psalms for Singing, The ARP Psalter, or the Trinity Psalter for less than half of the congregation may purchase photocopying rights on an annual (licensed) basis. The cost is based on the size of the congregation. Visit this page for more information.
Please note that we require a copyright line to be added to all copies made from any of our psalters. While you may have no intention to print, sell, or use the psalm for anything other than your corporate or personal worship, the intentions of a second or third party who obtains that copy is unknown. This printed statement protects the work.
Recording rights are granted on a case-by-case basis. Approved projects will incur a mechanical license fee depending on the scope of the project. The current U.S. statutory rate for a mechanical license is 9.1 cents per minute-length song per copy of each recording. This rate may vary based on the circumstances of the recording, such as purpose, media, and quality. Applications for recording permission are essential.
Please contact Crown & Covenant Publications to discuss broadcasting for permission.
Film/video usage requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Contact Crown & Covenant Publications for information.
You can find free related resources here.
Thank you for honoring our copyrighted material.